Quickbooks is an accounting software created and marketed by Intuit. The company’s applications are aimed at small and mid-sized businesses to provide on-site accounting applications. However, many users have reported receiving the “Firewall is blocking Quickbooks” error while trying to use the applications.
These recurring reports received from multiple users enable us to probe into the issue and made us formulate solutions to resolve such errors completely. In this article, we will look into the possible reasons for the occurrence of such errors and the effective steps to resolve them.
Overview of QuickBooks Firewall Blocking Error
QuickBooks is prone to a lot of technical and functional faults. One of the major causes of such technical difficulties in QuickBooks is a lack of network connectivity. There are various situations when a Windows firewall disables the QuickBooks services from connecting to the network.
This is when you run into significant problems such as the Firewall is Blocking QB error. This error can be caused due to several reasons, which we will discuss in the latter part of this article.
Causes of QuickBooks Firewall Blocking Error
Quickbooks firewall Blocking Error may be caused due to several reasons, which are as follows:
1. Block in Firewall
In most cases, the application itself may have been disabled by the Windows Firewall. Also, it might be possible that a third-party antivirus program has permanently stopped the application.
2. Closed Ports
This error commonly occurs when the computer fails to forward the ports used by the program to connect to the internet. The specified ports of the application must be forwarded by the user to function correctly. Unlike other applications, QuickBooks does not use a wide variety of ports; instead, it uses a single port based on the version of the application that you are running.
Effective Methods to Resolve the QuickBooks Firewall Blocking Error
Now that you’re aware of the major cause of the Firewall is blocking Quickbooks error on your system, it’s time to look at the most efficient approaches to fix it.
We have highlighted some of the effective solutions that you may rely on to resolve the issue below. However, you must proceed with considerable caution.
Method 1: Automatically Configure QuickBooks Firewall Ports
You can use this QuickBooks File Doctor tool to solve network-related issues.
The program will allow access to all blocked ports. Additionally, it can be used to set up your Windows firewall.
Method 2: Manually Configure Firewall
QuickBooks Desktop 2019 now uses dynamic ports. These are firewall ports that are specific (not an entire range) that are assigned when installing to ensure that QuickBooks Desktop uses a given port only.
The format for QuickBooks Desktop 2019 is, XXXXXX with XXXXXX being the port number that is specifically assigned.
Find the latest port code for QuickBooks 2019
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Under the Port Monitor tab, find QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
- Note down the Port Number. For Example, QuickBooks 2016 Firewall Ports – 55368.
- The same goes for QuickBooks 2021 Firewall Ports.
Incorporate Firewall port exceptions for QuickBooks
If you’re using a different version (years) of QuickBooks Desktop on the same computer, then follow the steps below for each Version of QuickBooks
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- In the search box, type the phrase “Windows Firewall” and click on Windows Firewall and open it.
- Next, go to the Advanced Settings.
- Right-click on your Inbound Rules (after that, you’ll be able to create Outbound Rules). Then, you’ll need to click your New Rule.
- Click on Port and select Next.
- Make sure that you must select TCP.
In the Specific Local Ports, add the suitable ports to support your QuickBooks Year version for QuickBooks Firewall Ports.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QB Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBGDSPlugin.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
How can you Resolve Connectivity Issues?
If connectivity issues persist it is necessary to set aside the use of the program QuickBooks within the Windows Firewall.
Here’s what you should do:
- Firstly, tap on the Start Menu and Enter Firewall.
- Thereafter, click on Windows Firewall.
- Then, select Advanced Settings on the right-hand side.
- Afterward, click right-click to open Inbound Rules.
- Next, choose New Rule.
- Now, choose Programs and then select Next.
- Thereafter, click to open the Programming Path and select Browse.
- Then, choose one of the routes which are in the table (table which is further down) and click Next.
- Next, select Allow Connection and select the next option.
- Afterward, make sure you have checked-marked all profiles, then proceed to the next.
- Now, complete the process with the addition of a brand new name.
- Finally, the QuickBooks Firewall Ports are configured. Try opening the QB Desktop in multi-user mode or on the network to confirm that the issue is fixed.
Configure Your Firewall Or Anti-virus Software
Configure your firewall and anti-virus applications. Make sure to do this only when you are unable to configure the Windows Firewall.
- Due to the large range of firewalls that are available, and their constantly changing version, Intuit is unable to offer additional configuration options.
- Consult the manual for your particular software and visit the website of the software’s publisher to get support.
- Intuit does not provide support or maintenance procedures for the various internet security software.
- Most of the time the error vanishes by installing the ports mentioned above into your Windows Firewall.
- If you still encounter errors opening a file over a network or multi-user problems, you may want to try adding the following executable/directories to your 3rd party virus program.
- Include QuickBooks ports as an exception to the firewall or antivirus of your Antivirus or Firewall
- Check the TCP, and then enter the ports to connect to the QuickBooks Year version.
- Find the port number for the version of your QuickBooks version under the manual configuration of ports and exceptions section.
- If you’ve installed or are using several-year editions of QuickBooks Desktop, you must add every year’s ports.
Certain programs will force users to restart their PC in order to save changes successfully. After you have completed the steps above restart your computer.
Thereafter, launch QuickBooks to verify. Moreover, after completing the above steps, now you can configure the QuickBooks Firewall Ports and settings for security.
Also, make sure you’re in a position to use the software properly. If the issue persists, it is because of something hindering QuickBooks.